Saturday, May 17, 2014

La Sagrada Família!

Passion facade
Nativity facade
Michelle and I saved Antoni Gaudí’s best work for last. Yesterday, we visited La Sagrada Família. Construction begun on March 19th, 1882 from a project by the diocesan architect Francisco de Paula del Villar, but at the end of 1883, Gaudí was commissioned to carry on the works. Unfortunately, Gaudí died in 1926, leaving the church unfinished. Since his death, different architects have continued the work after his original idea. There are no words to explain how amazing this piece of art is, and my pictures don't do it justice. I admire Gaudí so much and I thank him for all his astonishing work. Rumor has it that, La Sagrada Família should be finished in 2026, marking the 100th anniversary of Gaudí’s death. I’ve already made plans on returning to Barcelona when it’s completed.
           
               Sagrada Família Basilica 
   Sagrada Família Basilica