Sunday, May 11, 2014

Paris!

To conclude our international trips during our study abroad experience, Michelle and I decided to save the best for last, Paris, France. We left Barcelona at around 6:30 a.m. and arrived in Paris two hours later. From the Beauvais Airport, we took a bus to the city, and once we put our bags down in our hostel, we began our sightseeing. Of course, the Eiffel Tower was the first thing on the list, but before we did that, we passed by the Arch of Triumph and took a few photos. As we stood in line to buy our tickets for the Eiffel Tower, it began to rain. If you know me, you’d know I never wear a jacket, so do you think I was wearing one? I wasn’t. It was pouring, windy and I was freezing. I was so upset because being that high up on the Eiffel Tower gave us an incredible view of the city, but it was so cloudy and ugly that I didn’t even take out my camera. After the Eiffel Tower, we went back to the hostel to reschedule our itinerary for that day. We were suppose to visit the catacombs and Lachaise cemetery, the largest cemetery in Paris but instead, we grabbed lunch at Chipotle, went to the Basilica of Sacré-Cœur and then the Place de la Concorde to take photos of the plaza. Since the weather didn’t clear up, we just went back to the hostel and called it a day, hoping for a better tomorrow.


Arch of Triumph
Basilica of Sacré-Cœur 
On Friday, we took a day trip to visit the Palace of Versailles. It was an hour train ride to and back, but it was worth it. Not only was the entrance free, thanks to our student visas, but the palace was beyond beautiful. I was amazed on how big it is, especially its gardens. Michelle and I walked around the gardens, going inside Marie-Antoinette’s Estate, the Grand and Petit Trianons and lastly, the Palace. Walking through The Hall of Mirrors, and seeing the King and Queen’s Grand Apartments left me breathless, truly amazing. After the Palace, we headed back towards Paris for a little photo shoot by the Eiffel Tower. Luckily, the weather was better than the day before, so we got good shots. Also, we grabbed crêpes of Nutella and banana, and oh my god, those were the best crêpes I’ve ever had!



    
        Palace of Versailles Gate
Palace of Versailles
                        
                               Marie-Antoinette’s Estate 









   
Hall of Mirrors
     
       Palace Gardens
Palace Gardens
 
                                                
                                                             Eiffel Tower
Nutella and banana crêpe



Mona Lisa
Louvre Museum
Saturday was our last full day in Paris and we started it off by going to the Louvre Museum, where I got to see the Mona Lisa! Obviously, we saw other important artwork too, but I was super excited to see the Mona Lisa, I even took a selfie with it, haha. After the Louvre, we went to Notre Dame and then walked to the Lovelock Bridge. Unfortunately, we didn’t go inside the cathedral because there was a huge line. On our way to the bridge, I bought a lock, wrote my name on it and placed on the bridge, along with the other thousands of locks.
Locklock Bridge
After the Lovelock bridge, we went back to the hostel and waited until it got dark. At around 10 p.m. we were at Eiffel Tower and I’ve never seen anything so pretty. It was lit up against the dark sky, and every 50 minutes, blinking lights would flash from it. I teared up as I sat and watched it, knowing that this was my last trip of my study abroad experience. I loved all the countries I’ve been to, but I must say, I’m glad we saved the best for last. Paris was amazing, I can’t wait to go back.
Eiffel Tower