Monday, March 24, 2014

Morocco!

View from the ferry
What better way to celebrate passing finals than going to Morocco for the weekend? Michelle, Lauren, Evelyn, Grace and I all met at 6:45 a.m. to take the train to El Prat Airport in Barcelona and head to Sevilla, where we were meeting with the program directors of Discover Excursions. We arrived in Sevilla at about 11:30 a.m., ate lunch and met at the Portuguese Consulate at 12:30 p.m. From the consulate we took a 3 hour bus ride to Tarifa, then boarded a ferry from the Port to Tangiers, Morocco. Once we arrived in Tangiers, we drove 1 hour and ½ to our hotel, La Paloma, we checked in and ate dinner. After dinner, we went straight to bed to wake up early for breakfast the next day.

Day 2
Luckily, my hotel room had a balcony so I woke up to the most gorgeous view of Morocco. 
View from hotel balcony
Streets of Chefchaouen
Streets of Chefchaouen
Breakfast was served at 8 a.m. and we were departing for Chefchaouen at 9 a.m. We arrived in Chefchaouen at around 11 a.m., got a tour of the beautiful Blue streets of the Blue City then had lunch at a local restaurant. Walking through the streets, I saw the pretty blue and white houses, amazing overviews of the city and the residents of Chefchaouen. After lunch, we had some free time to shop and bargain, I bought myself two bracelets that I really liked. The girls and I also got some henna tattoos done. At around 5 p.m., we headed back to the hotel, ate dinner then headed to the 6th floor for a surprise. The program directors had planned a little party with some activities, dancing and some “sweet and sexy” sangria. The party ended at 12 a.m., and that’s when we went to sleep.
Overview of Chefchaouen
Day 3
Asilah
Streets oAsilah
Like the day before, breakfast was served at 8 a.m., we checked out and headed to Asilah, another city in Morocco. It kind of resembled Chefchaouen, because the houses were also blue and white. In Asilah, we walked around the streets and had free time for more shopping, I bought myself a pretty necklace. After having lunch just outside of the city, we departed for Tangiers. On our way to Tangiers, we stopped by a beach and chilled there for a little bit. We arrived in Tangiers at 4 p.m. where we got to ride camels! Although, the ride was only about 5 minutes, I can still say I rode a camel in Morocco! I also took a bunch of selfies with an adult camel and a baby camel, they are so cute! Once everybody had their turn, we left for the Port of Tangiers to head back to Sevilla. We arrived in Sevilla at about 3 a.m. and from there it was a drag. From Sevilla, we took a bus to the airport, then flew back to Barcelona then took a train back home. I didn’t actually get home till about 10 a.m. I was exhausted! I dropped my bags and crawled right into bed.
Selfie with camel
This weekend was amazing. I had so much fun and enjoyed every minute of it but I have to say that the camel ride had to be my favorite part. Morocco is such a beautiful place, I hope in the future, I can visit it again.
  
             
Selfie with camel